Monday, February 28, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things!

SMARSH MELLOWS?    You may ask yourself what is a smarsh mellow...Well it is exactly how my little precious darling handsome boy says Marsh Mellows.  We were visiting Daddy at school in Virginia a couple of weeks ago.  While we stayed in the camper Brad got this wonderful idea to build a campfire and roast smores over the fire.  Easton got so excited he ran around the camper almost knocking the stabilizing jacks out from under it with all the excitement.  He kept yelling, MAKAYLA! MAKAYLA!  we are going to eat SMARSH MELLOWS tonight.  I thought it was so stinkin cute that he kept trying so hard to enunciate the word that he kept tripping over his delivery of it and it always came out SMARSH MELLOWS.  I don't have it in me to correct him anymore...plus it is so incredibly sweet.  Reminds me of what a great little guy he is.  Trust me, he tends to find ways to make me forget...Like unfolding each and every flipping set of PJ's before he figures out which ones he would like to wear.

Makayla makes me grin from ear to ear from time to time too...I mean the kind of grin that hurts when you are done.  She insists on calling "yesterday"  her version- "LASTERDAY".  Translation I guess is Last night plus Yesterday!  There you have it...and by no means should we try to correct that little girl.  She will be the first to tell you that it is not last night or yesterday...its her way or no way.  LOL...Boy does she have a rude awakening coming.  LOL..

Still, though I have to remain proud becuase Friday on the way home, my little precious girl said the most honest, sweetest, and smartest thing most adults seem to forget.  I will proceed to tell you the story...

Most every day I pick the kids up I always ask how their day went, what they learned, and how they behaved.  I also ask them random questions like what do you want to be when you grow up and why.  It makes our trip home meaningful and rememberable because everyday there is something new.  This past Friday however was the best YET...HANDS DOWN!

So my question to Makayla was this "Makayla, when you grow up sweetie, who do you want to marry?"  She looked at me puzzled and said "huh?"  I proceeded to explain to her that "Daddy married Mommy and Mommy married Daddy.  We love each other very much and we decided to get married so that we could show each other every day how much we love one another".  She engaged me with a response like many of you could understand and many of you will joke..."Mommy, I'm going to marry Easton."  I quickly answered back "No baby, you cannot marry your brother."  She asked "why?"  I explained that brothers and sisters cannot marry one another that she should marry someone that is more like her "boyfriend"  such as her long proclaimed boyfriend Buddy.   She replied sternly "Well mommy, then I am not going to get married!"  I of course told her that it was okay if she decided not to get married.  Not without asking her if it would be okay to tell her who her Daddy and I would like her to marry.  She agreed to listen.  So I began to tell her this..."Well sweetie, your Daddy and I would love very much for you to marry A MAN who will love you, take care of you, support your dreams, treat you like a queen, protect you"  She QUICKLY...and I say and mean QUICKLY....."GOD, I AM GOING TO MARRY GOD MOMMY!"  Again, smiling from ear to ear, proud Mother of Makayla Hamrick....I said "Ohhhhh...You are..."  She surprised me again with a response like this..."Yes Mommy, because I LOVE HIM."  I was fully prepared for her to name off her little fellows at school, Russell and Joshua...but hey, a mom couldn't argue with a response like that.  Those are going to be some tough standards for sure.  I almost feel sorry for the kid.  LOL..

Funny how a 4 year old can recognize who the only perfect Man is.  I was elated with joy, I called my Mema, my Aunt, her Daddy, my Uncle, HER TEACHER....Told her Pop and even went into work this morning first thing and found the Chaplain to tell him.

Kids are sometimes brutally honest...but other times they are just HONEST AND THIS IS ONE OF THOSE TIMES...

I will most certainly be telling this story at her wedding rehearsal dinner!  And because I will be TOO busy to take the photos myself...I will just have to call Candace Arnold to come take them for us.  Shout out to my TERRIFIC PHOTOGRAPHER....you can check her website out here.  She lives in Stedman, NC pretty close to here...Eastern side of Fayetteville and she is so flippin Awesome!  She is also CitView's  (Fayettevlle's Magazine)  free lance photographer and was featured in February/March Issue.  Complete and utter awesomeness...Maybe one day we can get together for a play date with our cameras and she will let me pick her brain!

Until then....Thanks for reading!  More to follow next time, hopefully sooner than later!

1 comment:

  1. Very Sweet. And kids do say the funniest, sweetest things! I'm going to miss that as ey grow older and learn the right ways. Its very bittersweet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...